The NYDLC County Coordinator (CC) programs aim to monitor the Boardsof Elections' election administration in New York at the county level, in order to provide information to both the Voter Protection Program, more effectively deploy resources and anticipate issues, and organize appropriate and locally-informed responses to better secure the rights of all eligible voters.Key activities in this volunteer role are:
- Attend Board of Elections (BoE) meetings and update NYDLC on findings;
- Identify special issues/opportunities stemming from BoE meetings, particularly:
○ polling place changes, equipment related concerns, and any developments affecting voters;
○ registration/vote-by-mail processing and election administration challenges; and
○ openings to advocate for best practices and more advance voting opportunities;
- Develop relationships with Democratic Commissioners, Deputies, and staff;
- Be available on voting days to respond to and solve issues at the BoE/Elections office.
- County Coordinators (CC)
- Attend Democratic county committee meetings ande coordinate with the local committee on voter protection priorities (committee members are encouraged to apply!);
- Be available on voting days to respond to and investigate issues in their county. You will be the main point person to engage the BOE if the Boiler Room or Hotline receives a report that needs follow-up with the BOE;
- Be the hub for the voter protection team in your country, particularly with regard to developing poll watcher capacity;
- Master the NYDLC incident reporting and scheduling software, and be the lead in scheduling trained poll watchers in a way that optimizes coverage. You’ll communicate with trainees as they complete their poll watcher training, work with them on scheduling their shifts, and enter this information in the scheduling/monitoring system.
Attend office hours for NYS County Coordinators as needed to share and discuss activities and challenges with the group.